“Annual Highly Capable Program student nominations are due mid-February. Annual program acceptance will follow in mid-April.”
“Annual Highly Capable Program assessment screening is offered to all 2nd
grade students in February, annually.”
For more information, contact Executive Director of Learning Patsy Guglielmino, 509.685.2106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Colville School District serves identified students from the point of identification through grade 12. Each student’s services are reviewed periodically to ensure appropriate placement. The district utilizes an in-class program model that may include enrichment activities, differentiation of curriculum, flexible grouping, individual choice activities, and secondary course options.
The nomination process is conducted annually in the winter for services to be initiated the following school year.
Highly Capable students perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments.
Students who are highly capable may possess, but are not limited to, these learning characteristics:
(1) Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
(2) Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
(3) Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
(4) Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength; and
(5) Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus. (WAC 392-170-036)
Education Program Opportunities
The following educational opportunities are available but not limited to:
– In-classroom differentiation/individualization
– Flexible grouping
– Independent projects/individualized plans
– Advanced Placement courses
– College in the classroom
– Apex Learning (Multiple course pathways to engage students in rigorous
Forms & Documents: